Friday, January 30, 2009

The Big Cactus is a big mistake...

...for the coach's pick as an All-Star reserve that is.

Shaquille O'Neal was chosen as a reserve for the Western Conference All-Stars this year, and I don't think it was a proper choice.

Not over Al Jefferson. Not even over Andris Biedrins, who plays for my favorite team, the Golden State Warriors.

Just so I don't look too biased for mentioning Biedrins, let me say that Shaq isn't a better center than Denver's Nene either.

I'm mostly basing these conclusions on statistics. I don't know that that's the best way to back up an argument about something like this. But I believe it's a darn good way.

Shaq isn't even in the top 100 of Yahoo.com's Fantasy Basketball average player rankings (based on per game stats). A player like that does not deserve to be an All-Star, and it doesn't matter that we're not talking about fantasy hoops here.

The truth is that the players whom most people would consider to be All-Star caliber fall somewhere in the top 50 in the Yahoo.com rankings. You can't play fantasy basketball and win without an All-Star caliber player on your team. But like I said, Shaq isn't even top 100.

The funny thing is that he isn't even on a particularly good team this year, so saying that his team's record had something to do with it isn't really all that true. Nene's Nuggets have a better record than O'Neal's Suns, but Nene doesn't get to play in this year's game.

But O'Neal is a more popular player. He just isn't, however, the best player available for the All-Star game. And that diminishes what I think is the point of that game in the first place, which is to see the best players in the NBA play against each other.

But that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment